Re: Debian unstable kernel 2.4.16 modules?

[Wookey]
> In the abscence of a reply from the man himself my unsertanding of the
> current situation is:
>
> Vince got debian-installer working on arm, by adding a sub-arch
> mechanism to support the multitude of very different arm
> platforms. However this was rejected by the DI team, for reasons I'm
> not clear about although the fact that it would mean very large
> uploads for each supported machine was part of the problem I think.

Strange.  I'm part of the DI team, and do not remember such rejection.

> Obviously they are primarily concerned with getting DI reasonably
> well-polished on i386 right now, but we do have a serious problem
> with sub-arch support. Unless something drastic happens arm is going
> to have to continue using bootfloppies for sarge or there will a
> pile of unofficial DI versions for different machines.

The powerpc developers have added a subarch system, and I hope it can
be used for arm as well.  Someone need to do the work of course.  I'm
not the man for that task.

As far as I know, d-i is currently being polished for i386, powerpc,
alpha, mips and ia64.

> The fundamental problem is that the DI architecture assumes you can
> have one kernel for your arch and add modules to deal with hardware
> variations.  That simply isn't true for ARM.

I'm not sure if that fundamental problem is fundamental, neither that
it exist any more.  Someone else will need to investigate if it is
enough for arm.

> As phil says - anyone with enthusiasm to work on this is extremely
> welcome.

Right.