Re: dpkg segfaults with 8MB + swap...

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 04:27:33AM -0400, Andre wrote:
> I'm trying to install Woody on an 2.4.21 based ARM system with 8MB ram and a 256MB swap partition (using the debootstrap + network method).
>
> I get through the base system OK (very slow due to excessive swapping) but after that apt-get install <almost anything> causes dpkg to segfault (seems to happen as the amount of swap space used matches the amount of physical memory ?).

Linux no longer needs the swap to match teh physical , swap is simply
an extension of main memory, tho it is a good idea to have enough
backing store for all physical pages present.

I am impressed you managed to get that far! I assume you simply ok the
warnings from dbootstrap mentioning it requires 16MB? The short answer
is "forget it" the longer answer is that you *may* get a custom build
into 8MB but the debian install simply doesnt fit ATM.

> (The same system with 16MB + swap has no problems).

As this is a minimum requirement...

> Is there anything I can do to make apt-get work in 8MB ??

apt builds its dependacy trees and with more than a few hundred
packages its requires a *lot* of memory to do this so I am
unsurprised.

--
Regards Vincent
http://www.kyllikki.org/