dpkg segfaults with 8MB + swap...

I'm trying to install Woody on an 2.4.21 based ARM system with 8MB ram and a 256MB swap partition (using the debootstrap + network method).

I get through the base system OK (very slow due to excessive swapping) but after that apt-get install <almost anything> causes dpkg to segfault (seems to happen as the amount of swap space used matches the amount of physical memory ?).

(The same system with 16MB + swap has no problems).

Is there anything I can do to make apt-get work in 8MB ??