Re: 2.4.19 crashes, 16 bpp framebuffer

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 03:21:23PM -0500, Adam C Powell IV wrote:

> One other thing: I run noflushd to spin down the hard drive when idle.
> I also turn the fan off in the winter, as it's in a cool spot and the
> CPU never goes above 50 C; it's nice to have a small silent low-power
> always-on router-firewall-server [...]

How about the next best thing: a silent machine that turns on its fan
if it is about to overheat?  I can make my binary available if wanted.
ftp://ftp.netwinder.org/users/g/guinan/fand.c

> Though for that last purpose (X desktop), I'm afraid this new kernel is
> just too unstable for me, so I'm going back to 2.4.16.  If anyone has an
> idea of how to debug this, I'd be happy to go back to 2.4.19 for that
> purpose.

Presumably nothing in the syslog upon reboot?  Not likely, but worth
checking just to save some hassle.  So then your only recourse is to
connect a serial cable, and boot with "console=ttyS0,115200".  Then run
a comm program on the other end to capture all the kernel messages.
That should give the oops which can then be decoded with ksymoops.

If you are in the mood for testing, you can try the 2.4.19 binaries I
created (using an old "trusted" toolchain).  They are in rpm format but
alien will convert them over.  ftp.netwinder.org/users/r/ralphs in
kernel/beta subdirectory.  2.4.19-6 is the latest.

--
Ralph Siemsen
www.netwinder.org