Re: Netwinder modules missing MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE() entry

[Ralph Siemsen]
> I'll wait to see the artlcle in Linux Journal, but what good is
> hotplug if the devices are soldered down to the motherboard?

The thing I really liked, was that the hotplug project had
standardized how the kernel modules export information on which
devices they support.  This information is extracted by modutils, and
stored in /lib/modules/<version>/modules.*map.  This makes sure the
list of supported HW stays up to date, making it trivial to implement
automatic HW detection.

If the kernel modules use the MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE() to let the world
know which devices it will handle, there is no longer a need for the
user to guess which modules are needed to get the HW working.

In addition, one get all the nice things about hotplug support, being
able to insert and remove HW on the fly. :-)

It is supposed to work for PCI, USB, IEEE1394, network interfaces,
CPU, SCSI, IDE and docking stations.  The last four are currently
stand-alone patches.