Re: CONFIG_ACORN_PARTITION_POWERTEC needed on i386?

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 08:35:27PM -0500, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> I'm wondering, since POWERTEC is an Acorn SCSI dislabel type, it's
> really not very necessary to the i386 prebuilt images -- except to Acorn
> users who want to mount the disks on their Intel boxes, some of whom
> might be on this list.  When I build images myself without the option,
> they work just fine on my machine.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find Acorn users who have (Powertech
Cards) && (i386 machines) && (want to mount the disks onto their i386 machine)
&& ((are incapable of building a custom kernel) || (somehow need to boot
their i386 machine from their Powertech cards before they are able to build
a custom kernel))

> So, as a "workaround", would any such people be heartbroken if this
> config option were dropped from the prebuilt i386 kernel images?  I'd
> like to recommend to the maintainer that this be dropped, but figured I
> should ask here first...

So far I count zero people who expressed a preference.
I don't have a Powertech card (and my x86 box is running FreeBSD) so it
doesn't matter to me.

Nicholas Clark
--
EMCFT http://www.ccl4.org/~nick/CV.html