Re: Debian on the Sharp Zaurus/SL-5xxx

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 07:29:22PM +0200, Magnus Ekdahl wrote:

> > I am interested in creating a full-featured Debian environment for the
> > Zaurus,
>
> Would this mean that you intend to reduce the number of essential
> packages?
>
> As far as I can see there is a problem with the size of the essential
> packages being very large and that you don't have to declare a dependency
> on a package that is essential. Which could mean that the zaurus port
> would be plagued with unsatisfied dependencies.

So far, the packages that I plan on omitting by default are Priority:
important and less.  setserial, sysklogd, fdutils, groff-base, all fall into
this category.  With these changes, and omitting documentation and some
other bits, I was able to get a useful (but basic) Debian system down to
around 20MB uncompressed.  Since most of this would go on the cramfs
filesystem loaded from flash, it should easily fit, along with a kernel and
the boot loader stuff, into the 16MB flash provided.

So, thus far, the current set of essential packages is working out OK.

> Btw, I'm totally for reducing the number of unnecessary programs that is
> currently essential.

Which packages or programs seem superfluous to you?

ncurses-base
textutils
bsdutils
sed
base-passwd
util-linux
ncurses-bin
tar
gzip
dpkg
base-files
findutils
shellutils
grep
mount
e2fsprogs
sysvinit
perl-base
hostname
fileutils
login
diff
bash
debianutils

I find this list quite reasonable; a case could perhaps be made against
Perl, but having it available in base has saved me many times (including on
the Zaurus, where I needed to setuid(geteuid()) from a shell).

--
 - mdz