Re: Debian on the Sharp Zaurus/SL-5xxx

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 06:10:10PM +0100, Miah Gregory wrote:

> The size of the local package database is also a concern. Will any of the
> planned changes to dpkg address the size of the database, to make it more
> suitable for limited resource devices?

For my test installation, /var/lib/dpkg is 2.8M of du usage.  It is
interesting to note that the total length of all of the files is actually
only 1M, or close to 1/3 of that size, so half the space could easily be
recovered by a filesystem capable of storing small files more efficiently
than ext2.  I have been planning to use jffs for other reasons, and I wonder
if it has such a capability.  reiserfs seems to do very well with small
files, but I imagine that jffs will be better suited for the media.

--
 - mdz