Re: notes on riscpc install

On Sat 06 Apr, Richard Atterer wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 11:11:03PM +0100, Philip Blundell wrote:
> > Update-menus segfaulted during base-config.  When I started trying to
> > debug that problem, it went away.

> This sounds a *lot* like the problems I had, which I mentioned on
> debian-arm a few months ago. If it wasn't gzip, it was grep or
> update-menus breaking, and once I had that working, apt started
> crashing.

This has been around for a very long time. The (Aleph Armlinux) release I did
Dec 2000 had this. Update-menus would (consistently) segfault during
installation, but at some point during the install it always went away. It
was as if the problem was masked/fixed by some other bit of software being
installed, but of course I never worked out which one it was. I was rather
hoping it had fixed itself in the intervening 18 months - obviously not.

Wookey