Re: Which Debian package contains flashwrite?

On Sun, 2002-03-10 at 19:11, Ralph Siemsen wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 07:43:28PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > Is there a Debian package containing flashwrite, which is required to
> > upgrade the firmware if I read
> > <URL:http://www.netwinder.org/howto/Firmware-HOWTO-3.html> correctly?
> >
> > I've installed the nwutil package, but there is no flashwrite there.
>
> It is part of the firmware RPM package; not sure how this is handled in
> debian.  I suspect there is none, because the licensing of the firmware
> package is uncertain.  Source is available, but copyrighted.

That's right.  Even aside from the licensing thing, it never really
seemed worth shipping firmware images as part of Debian.  Most people
just download the file, burn it into flash and then delete it, and you
can do that just as well with an RPM or tarfile.

It might be useful to put flashwrite into the nwutil package, though.  I
have an idea that once upon a time it shipped with the kernel-images,
but that hasn't been the case for a long while.

p.