Repost of a Debian Woody/pppoe question from debian-users

Please note that I had initially posted this on the debian-user list but it was indicated to me that this question should probably be asked here. Has anyone else had success using pppoe while running debian woody on a netwinder? I'm using the following packages.. ppp_2.4.1.uus-1_arm.deb and pppoe_3.3-1_arm.deb and running the 2.4.16-rmk1 kernel.

I'm pretty sure it's a problem with my Debian configuration because I
have no connectivity problems using Windows or a Netwinder(running a
modified version of redhat). Can someone please take a look at the
errors / my configuration files and point out what I'm doing wrong?

My /etc/network/interfaces file says this..
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0

Does that look right? I had previously compiled and tried the latest rp-pppoe source distribution (before I learned of the debian pppoe package)and I remember reading that no interfaces(attached to the adsl modem) should be brought up at boot time or configured at all. I don't remember reading that in any of the debian's pppoe documentation.. either way, I've tried it both ways and still experience the same problem.

I've set up pppoe numerous times before on linux and bsd so I know I'm overlooking something really small but I just can't put my finger on it. Any hints or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

---

Whenever I issue the command 'pon dsl-provider' I get the following
errors in /var/log/syslog ..

pppd[431]: pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
pppd[431]: Serial connection established.
pppd[431]: using channel 15
pppd[431]: Using interface ppp0
pppd[431]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/0
pppd[431]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x66929177>
<pcomp> <accomp>]
pppd[431]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x66929177>
<pcomp> <accomp>]
last message repeated 5 times
pppd[431]: Terminating on signal 15.
pppd[431]: sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "User request"]
pppoe[432]: Received signal 15.
pppd[431]: Script pppoe -I eth0 -T 80 -m 1452 finished (pid 432),
status = 0x0
pppd[431]: Modem hangup
pppd[431]: Connection terminated
pppd[431]: Exit

And sometimes it says this (including the errors above)..
"LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests"
"Timeout waiting for PADO packets"

/etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider is available at:
http://members.rogers.com/mr.suit/debian/pppoe/dsl-provider

/etc/ppp/options :
http://members.rogers.com/mr.suit/debian/pppoe/options

/etc/ppp/pap-secrets :