Re: gcj

In message <[🔎] E16CmB0-0006bd-00@kc.cam.armlinux.org>
          Philip Blundell <philb@gnu.org> wrote:

> Does anybody know what would need to be done to make GCJ work on ARM?

Here's what Nick Burrett had to say in January regarding the RISC OS
version:

  "The Java compiler binaries are gcjh, jc1, jcf-dump, jv-scan and
  jvgenmain.  It's been a very long time since I looked that these,
  and I suspect that a few of those binaries are in the wrong directory i.e.
  they should be with the `gcc' and `g++' compiler drivers rather than
  the compiler binaries.

  The missing bit is the Java run-time library.  At the time of release
  of gcc 2.95.2, the run-time library was not in any suitable state
  to be useable.  I suspect that the compiler might also suffer the
  same symptoms.   You can get libgcj from http://sources.redhat.com/java

  I don't think there is any point persuing Java compiler support until
  I make a branch in the gccsdk tree and start work on GCC 3.0."

I understand the situation is very similar for AL - ie., libgcj ported
to ARM.  While obviously there will be differences between the RISC OS
version and ARM Linux versions, it might be nice if these could be done
together, as I don't think they will be very different.

Peter

 Peter Naulls - peter@chocky.org
 RISC OS Projects Initiative  -  http://www.chocky.org/initiative/
 Java for RISC OS and ARM     -  http://www.chocky.org/java/