Re: portmap segfaulting, debian unbootable

Philip Blundell wrote:

Yeah, this is the gmon_start problem. I think there was some backsliding in that department on one of the autobuilders, so a few packages are blighted even though they were built after the problem was notionally fixed.

Akhaa! After letting it timeout (see below), I rebuilt portmap, now everything works! Hooray!

I keep meaning to build a new version but haven't got around to it yet.

On my machine, you seem to be able to use Ctrl-\ to interrupt the stuck mount process and then continue booting normally. The filesystem does apparently end up mounted. Or, I guess, it will time out eventually if you just leave it.

You're right, I left it for a couple of hours and it did eventually timeout. This may be why the problem never bothered me before -- I would usually reboot remotely, then forget about it, then log back in a couple of hours later when I remembered to.

However, NIS stopped working for me about 3 weeks ago. I lacked time to investigate at the time, but noticed yesterday that it was trying to restart portmap and failing. With the rebuilt portmap, everything works again perfectly. Hooray!

So yeah, I think this is a high-priority rebuild. I can try to do it, but am a bit pressed for time in the next few days, and have to investigate the process of doing a .0.1 rebuild... So if nobody gets to it by next Wednesday or so, I will.

Thanks very much,
--

-Adam P.

Welcome to the best software in the world today cafe! <http://lyre.mit.edu/%7Epowell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg>