Re: labltk native code build problem on arm. (PR#327)

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 10:26:25PM +0900, Jacques Garrigue wrote:
> > Hello, ...
> >
> > While packaging ocaml 3.01 for debian, i received the following bug report
> > from the arm porters.
> > make[1]: Entering directory `/home/luther/ocaml-3.01/otherlibs/labltk/lib'
> > ../../../boot/ocamlrun ../../../ocamlopt -I ../../../stdlib -labels -c -I
> > ../support tk.ml
> > /tmp/camlasm0.s: Assembler messages:
> > /tmp/camlasm0.s:26142: Error: Invalid constant
> > /tmp/camlasm0.s:30129: Error: Invalid constant
> > Assembler error, input left in file /tmp/camlasm0.s
> > make[1]: *** [tk.cmx] Error 2
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/luther/ocaml-3.01/otherlibs/labltk/lib'
> > make: *** [allopt] Error 2
>
> I didn't even know that there was an arm native port for ocaml...

Don't read the ocaml README file often, do you. Support was there since a long
time ago, since before they dropped m68k i think.

> Well, my first guess would be that there is ome limitation in the arm
> architecture on the size of immediately loaded constants. Since large
> integer constants are only generated when compiling polymorphic variants
> that would explain why the problem only appears with labltk.

Yes, this could be it, don't know though as i have no knowledge of the arm
architecture at all, i hope other people from the debian-arm list will be able
to respond to you a bit more here.

> Having the actual camlasm0.s producing these errors would certainly help.
> You can produce it by adding -S to the command line, but with tk.ml it
> will be huge.

Well, i got the one from the failed compilation, the one i fot from /tmp.

Do you need it ? it is 814050 octet in size, I can mail it to you, or put it
in my anonymous ftp server at :

ftp://lambda.u-strasbg.fr/camlasm0.s

Hope this helps, it may be truncated though.

Friendly,

Sven Luther