Re: kernel-2.4.2-rmk1 unable to load init/gettys on netwinder

>Yup; you need to enable NetWinder FPU emulation for the
>kernel to work at all (I'm not sure why that's a compilation
>option, actually).

Back in the dark ages or so, there was an alternative (closed source) floating
point emulator from Acorn.  It used to be possible to boot the system far
enough without floating point that you could then insert the emulator as a
module.  Maybe some people still even use this, I don't know.

Nowadays there are different reasons to keep NWFPE as an option: you can
select `FASTFPE' instead, or you might have a userland that doesn't need FPA
emulation at all, in which case NWFPE is just a waste of kernel memory.  In
fact there is a discussion taking place even now on the armlinux-toolchain
list about how we might consign FPA to the great recycle bin in the sky.

p.