Specifying root partition on recent rmk kernels

Greetings,

I've been trying to build some recent rmk kernels for a Netwinder (the
last one that built for me was 2.4.0-rmk1), and I had the same trouble
booting that as I have with several previous kernels: it seems to get an
empty string for the root partition.  Everything is set up fine in
nettrom, kernfile and kerndev look good, and it boots 2.3.99-pre8 just
fine.  So how do I tell newer kernels where root is?

Thanks,

-Adam P.