Re: Linux on a RiscPC 600

On Mon 15 May, Peter Naulls wrote:

> In message <[🔎] E12rOCh-0000Tn-00@pearl.tao.co.uk>
>           "David Given" <dg@tao-group.com> wrote:
>

> > ... What's this LoadMap thing?
>
> It's a program that acts a little like lilo and works with the !Linux
> app.  No one's packaged this for Debian, although I've threatened to
> do so, along with Russel's fdisk.

Is that allowed? It seems to me there may be a problem packaging
Russell's tools for debian as I don't think his license terms count as
sufficiently free:

> The following conditions are imposed on this source code and program:
>
> 1. Any changes should be forwarded to the original author for inclusion
>    in a later release of the tools.
>
> 2. You may modify the sources at your own will. However, if you modify
>    the sources or use the sources in your own programs, you must give
>    due credit to the original author which must be visible to the user
>    of your program.
>
> 3. You may not redistribute the programs nor the source code, in hole
>    or in part, under the same name(s) as the original program/source
>    names.
>
> 4. All other forms of modification are strictly prohibited.
>
> 5. A copy of this copyright notice must be included with any
>    distribution or redistribution of this source code, and with any
>    subsequent program distribution.
>
> Further source releases will be available on a the ARM Linux FTP site when
> requested, time permitting.
>
>             *** NOTE *** This is not the GNU GPL *** NOTE ***

Loadmap itself appears to be independent, so that's OK, but it's not much
use without !Linux which has the above license. There is another
bootloader (!linLoader) but it doesn't seem to actually work under most
circumstances, and may still use some of Russell's code and thus still be
restricted.

> otoh, you could try Jim's boot floppy images - although I'm not
> personally aware of anyone who's tried them on a RiscPC.

I did - quite a lot. Essentially they don't yet work. Obvious problems
were:
0) Getting them to boot with either of the existing bootloaders is
'problematic'
1) Setting the keyboard scrambles your keys - I sent jim the correct
keymaps.
2) They don't recognise filecore partitioned drives so you have to
install to a PC BIOS-partitioned drive.
3) I did manage to get it to (appear to) install 'base' but couldn't get
it to actually boot. Not clear why = needs more work.
4) Any floppy access gives a kernel oops - apparently due to a compiler
bug.

Jim, did you get round to updating your compiler and/or putting in the
RPC keymaps? Care to generate a new bootfloppies set for us to try?

P.S. re booting newer kernels: I've booted a 2.2.13 and a 2.3.35 kernel
on an ARM700+FPU OK. I'll try it on a 710 as well...

Wookey
--
Aleph One Ltd, Bottisham, CAMBRIDGE, CB5 9BA, UK  Tel (00 44) 1223 811679