Re: status of arm port

On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, Othmar Pasteka wrote:

> i just had to discover that somehow the arm port isn't
> maintained. i got the impression that someone set up an buildd
> and etc. pp. so, what is the actual status? i am a bit confused
> right now.

The ARM port is very much maintained in spirit; I currently correspond
to <debian-arm@debian.org>, and I very much intend, as soon as time
permits, to push issues forward.  There's a collection of buildds, and
a prototypic system to collate them (distribute build logs amongst
porters and suchforth); I was under the impression that packages from
this are going in from time-to-time -- I'll certainly get to my bunch
as soon as I get a second.  Apart from the odd package done by generic
Debian types, I think Phil's submitting the bulk of the packages as of
late.  Between some of us, the kernel packaging issues and boot-floppies
should be sorted out before too long.

(There's also related work going on over at emdebian.org concerned with
ARM, which may be of interest.)

In a nutshell, hold on a couple of weeks for life to resume its track,
and then I hope to (personally at least) put in a bunch of overdue work.

> one of the things which also points to a more or less
> unmaintained port is that there is no ssh in main/arm :(.

There have always been a bunch of issues with ssh, though I don't quite
remember what now; I think there's a version up for FTP on ftp.armlinux.org.
If not, I'm sure there's one hanging around somewhere.  Search the mailing
list archives.

c.