Re: fbdev problems

Nicholas Clark wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 02:44:12AM +0100, Chris Rutter wrote:
> > Skimming the source, it would seem another problem is where Xfbdev is
> > told to use the `default' mode and doesn't attempt to reset the virtual
> > height.  What it really ought to do is take the mode parameters, unset
> > text, and reset the mode, I suppose; design oversight?
>
> Is this the reason why you were finding that my patch didn't seem to work?
> (sorry, I forgot to say that I wasn't running in "default")
>
> > Why do no other architectures (apparently) suffer from this problem?
>
> My guess would be that the acornfb is the only driver that defaults
> to setting a virtual resolution that differs from the physical.

Not quite.  FWIW, when I boot my StarMax 3000/160 (pmac 4400 clone) with atyfb
and 1152x870 mode, using default mode in xfb gives me a slightly larger virtual
screen than physical (about 20 lines or so).  I haven't tested this under 2.4
yet, but have no reason to believe it would be different from 2.2.

Just FYI,

-Adam P.