Re: gcc 2.95.2-13 for arm

On Sun, Sep 10, 2000 at 04:41:39PM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 27, 2000 at 04:50:51PM -0400, Chris Gorman wrote:
> > I think you may be correct (at least on arm).  If you are successfull with
> > Phil's suggestion (building srpm gcc) post a report to the list.  (I for
> > one would like to get an update on this.)

w.r.t. the report nature of things

> However, there was a problem with failed regression tests on an interim
> development release of perl 5.7 (ie a "development" development release)
> which caused some sort of SEGV in the subroutine pp_rename caused by garbage
> in memory where a pointer was expected - this was present on -O and -O2 but
> went away on -g, so I don't know if it's a perl bug. [-g causes all
> automatic variables to be zero initialised, doesn't it? So should I try
> compiling with neither -g not -O to get no optimiser (and no chance of
> optimiser bugs)?]

no. not a perl bug. a compiler bug:

`sh  cflags libperl.a pp_hot.o`  pp_hot.c
          CCCMD =  /usr/local/bin/gcc -DPERL_CORE -c -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O -fsigned-char  -Wuninitialized
/tmp/ccqBnxST.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/ccqBnxST.s:8196: Warning: destination register same as write-back base

This would be a bad thing. This would appear to be the bad thing I had
before with the previous (debian supplied) compiler. How (where) do I go
about working out if it's a known compiler bug?

Nicholas Clark