Re: Debian ARM package xserver-common

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 09:29:55PM -0600, Jim Studt wrote:
> xf86config is not built because no servers in programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86
> are built.  Our fbdev server is built out of xfree68.

Ah.  Well, if ARM uses only the fbdev server, there's no point trying to
use xf86config anyway.

> I tried to get it built by enabling the vga16 server.  That won't
> build.  If someone more familiar with X and Imake could suggest a
> config change to get it built I'll try.

I'm not sure the VGA16 is very portable in its current state.

> I've got a built xfree86-1 tree standing by, but I don't have a lot
> of time for trial and error this week.

It would be much easier to do for ARM what we're doing for other fbdev-only
architectures, like m68k and powerpc.  If some ARM folks could grab the
xfree86-1 source package and take a look at
debian/xserver/{FBDev.README,XF86Config.FBDev}, and tell me what additions
might need to be made to help out ARM users, I'd appreciate it.

There is just a snowball's chance that (once the correct XKB part of the
file is uncommented), the XF86Config.FBDev there will work out of the box.
The kernel driver provides a uniform interface and we have a ton of
modelines in there.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |
Debian GNU/Linux               |                It tastes good.