Re: Audio?

On Sun, 05 Mar 2000 16:14:00 -0500, Chris McKillop wrote:
>     I am trying to get an mp3 player working on the Netwinder.  I
> have the waveartist module loaded and beeps seem to be working but none
> of the mp3 players (freeamp, xmms, or maplay3) are functioning correctly.
> Any thoughts?

Maybe. If those players use floating point math, they can't be used on a
Netwinder because its SA110 CPU lacks a floating point unit. The kernel
has a floating point emulator, but it is way too slow to get real-time
performance. Nicolas Pitre rewrote splay to use fixed point math. Get his
version at:

  ftp://ftp.netwinder.org/users/n/nico/splay-0.81-fixpoint.tgz

I've been able to play mp3 files with ~20% CPU load on a Netwinder.

Another possibility is that you have to adjust the permissions of the
audio devices.

Erik

--
LART. 250 MIPS under one Watt.