Re: Debian images on a Risc PC

Philip Blundell <Philip.Blundell@pobox.com> writes:

> > Any ideas what's happening now?  I'll try a 2.2 kernel some time
> > if that's likely to still be the problem.
>
> That would certainly be an idea.  I'm not saying the 2.0 kernel is
> the problem, but if you use 2.2 you will at least be working from
> the same base as other people.  You can get precompiled binaries
> from LKAB, see <ftp://ftp.armlinux.org/pub/lkab/>.

Okay, I'm using a 2.2.14 kernel now.  The problem with login has
disappeared now.  I'm now having a problem with, it appears, libc.

Under Debian, this works using the February 1999 Debian/ARM image and
using a libc I compiled a while ago (I can check the version if that
would help), but not using the August 1999 image:

# > foo
# chown 123 foo

but this doesn't work under any of the three:

# ln -s foo bar
# chown 123 bar
chown: bar: Function not implemented

(when the first case doesn't work it gives the same error).

This happens when I chroot into Debian from Red Hat and when I boot
straight into Debian, and it happens with both the 2.0 and 2.2
kernels.  It doesn't happen at all under Red Hat.

It's quite a problem because dpkg chokes when it can't change the
ownership of links.  (But I compiled the kernel by first unpacking a
few debs using ar and tar.)

Any ideas what's happening?  How much code *isn't* shared between ARM
and i386 targets in glibc?

--
         Mark Seaborn
   - mseaborn@bigfoot.com - http://members.xoom.com/mseaborn/ -

           Superconductor, n.  railroad employee of the month.