Re: Debian on ARM platforms...

Jim Studt wrote:

> Scott Bambrough wrote...
> > 1.  Will it ship with 2.2?  My general sense of the state of things is no, but
> > correct me if I am wrong.
>
> We are not scheduled for potato, but if we get our boot disks together
> we should be released.  We have something like 3500 packages built.  A
> bunch of them accidentally ended up in woody, I'm working to move them
> back into potato.

Cool, so the potato release is possible?  If so, this is great news!

> Debian does not have an accelerated X server for the netwinder.  I've
> been using the FBDev X server to test on the box, mostly I use a remote
> X server.  It would be good to kit an accelerated X server, I haven't
> look at the issue at all.

Hmm, shouldn't the fbdev X server be able to use the accels in cyber2000fb?  I have
heard that the atyfb and clgenfb accels were relatively simple additions to Xfb.
Or is the problem that cyber2000fb is not stable enough to handle a plain Xfb (it
hangs the machine on anything bigger than 640x480x8), let alone an accelerated
one?  When I have some free time in a month or so, I'd like to look into the
framebuffer to see why Xfb is not working with cyber2000fb, and might investigate
acceleration.

But the question is one of strategy: should we focus on an SVGA X server, or an
FBDev one?  I'd be inclined toward the latter, I think a lot of the justifications
behind fb/Xfb are valid (security, should be easier to adapt Xfb than SVGA).  What
are some of the reasons to favor SVGA?

Not that any of this will get into potato... :-)

-Adam P.