xterm: no available ptys

Greetings,

I can startx and run xterm just fine as root, but as an NIS user,
(startx goes fine but) I get the error message in the subject.

Any ideas?

Also, on my earlier buggy processor problems, Jim Studt has suggested
using 2.3.33-rmk, but the server he pointed me to for the patch source
(www.arm.uk.linux.org) seems to have vanished!  Anyone have any ideas,
or could anyone send me the patch?

Thanks,

      Adam Powell                     http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/
      Thomas B. King Assistant Professor of Materials Engineering
      77 Massachusetts Ave. Rm. 4-117         Phone (617) 452-2086
      Cambridge, MA 02139 USA                   Fax (617) 253-5418