Re: update?

# Sorry if this a duplicate, I believe I bothched the first one and
# only sent it to Phil.

Philip Blundell <pb@futuretv.com> wrote...
> What's the current status of the package-building effort?  Reports seem to
> have petered out a bit over the last week or so.

How about some highlights first...
	Most of the gnome stuff is built.  You can now make a sexy
	gnome system.

	Virtually all of the graphics librarys are built so very few
	packages are unbuildable for dependency reasons.  Of course
	you'd have to take much medication to appreciate the OpenGL
	performance.

	Our nagging 'strip' build failure was package independent.
	Maintainers are fixing it rapidly and with little argument
	since it blocks the i386 builds.

	I've gotten better at explaining the 'unsigned char' issues
	to maintainers so I can usually convince them that it actually
	does need fixing in less than 5 e-mails. :-(  (Hint: remind them
	that their logic and EOF comparison is broken on non-ascii
	character sets which use 255 as a valid code.  I don't know if
	there are any, but the argument seems to work.)

I'm working up a new list of packages needing help.  I should get it
out today while testing a new install image.

I don't think there's anything critical on that list with two huge but
known exceptions.

glibc - this strikes me as tricky to build.  I'm hoping Jim Pick will
        continue.  Needs a look at our socket header files, something
        is different between us and other ports, many warnings and errors.
xserver-? - I'm not sure which xserver we use and where it comes from.
            I don't have monitors on my netwinders normally.

I've started updating my lists of packages to be recompiled so
the out-of-date numbers creep up until I get them built.  Lots of
package churn going on in potato right now.

The BRM stands at...

12/25 12/28 12/29 12/30 12/31 01/11
  32    22     1     0     0     5  required:out-of-date
   5     5     5     5     5     5  required:uncompiled

  12    10     0     0     0     2  important:out-of-date
   3     3     1     1     1     1  important:uncompiled

  26    23     1     0     0     3  standard:out-of-date
  15    14    13     3     3     6  standard:uncompiled

 454   430   430   260   159    82  optional:out-of-date
 801   800   798   795   795   353  optional:uncompiled

  93    92    92    91    91    16  extra:out-of-date
 175   174   174   173   173    80  extra:uncompiled

--
                                     Jim Studt, President
                                     The Federated Software Group, Inc.

----- End of forwarded message (env-from jim) -----