Re: memory exhausted while compiling glibc2.1

<gary@singular.org> writes:

> > I'm using the Debian packages, gcc 2.95 and binutils 2.9.4.0.5.
> >
> > > Any hints?
> >
> > The Debian packages should work on ARM7 - you could try installing them.
>
> I was leery of using the debian packages since the note on the website
> said the packages were going to be made for arm3l some time in the future
> and were arm4 (for the netwinder) currently.  is that the case or is the
> web site misleading?

The website is misleading.  It's in pretty bad shape (my fault
mostly).  I never put up a notice about the big switch to the
versioned glibc/ARMv3, and the February image/transitional .debs.

I didn't want to announce those too loudly, because I wanted to merge
all the changes into the main archive.  I didn't realize it would take
me until August in order to do it.  :-)

Deirdre Saoirse <deirdre@deirdre.net> has volunteered to take over the
website, but there hasn't been much interesting to report until the
last few days.

> also, is it worth trashing my current system and installing the debian arm
> port or is it not yet ready for an end user sort of install?  I did see a
> few days ago a URL about an installer for RISC OS but wasn't sure about
> the status of the port and didn't want to risk my current work.

Right now, installing Debian on a RISC OS box is a do-it-yourself
operation.  The userspace should work, but you'll need to supply your
own kernel and bootloader.

There does appear to be the required interest needed to build kernel
images and installation disks on this list.  I don't have an Acorn
myself, so I can't do it.  But I will be working on adding ARM support
to the Debian boot-floppies package for the NetWinder, and I can help
merge in anything needed for the Acorn.  I hope to have some something
for the NetWinder in the next 3-4 weeks.

Cheers,

 - Jim