Re: Risc PC success

Timothy Baldwin <tim@reinhouse.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> I can confirm that Jim's image works on my Risc PC 600 (that is ARM610
> processor) after some modification.

Cool!

> /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh  - hangs the machine, so I have removed it.

Should we try to get all the different clock programs merged together?
I'm not sure that hwclock.sh even works on the NetWinder - I thought
that Corel had a different one.

> /etc/rc.boot/0setserial - configures the wrong irq for ttyS0, it should
>                           be irq 10, which the kernel gets correct.

I remember there was a problem with setserial on the NetWinder too.

> /etc/init.d/network     - attempts to configure a (non-existant)
>                           ethernet interface.

My fault.

> /dev                    - /dev/fd0 is missing.

Yeah, I left it out because the NetWinder doesn't have a floppy.  :-)

I think the proper thing to do with building a bootable image would be
to modify the boot-floppies package to build it.  I just put the
current image together manually, so I missed a lot of dumb things.

> I am working on open source Risc PC bootloader, and will investigate
> a generic kernel configuration.

That would be cool.

We should put together some installation instructions.

Cheers,

 - Jim