Re: New packages installed

bdale@gag.com (Bdale Garbee) writes:

> Are you using the boot-floppies stuff?  Or just crafting the image by hand?

By hand.  I'm keeping notes in:

  /mirror/ftp/pub/debian/arm/image/debian-image-HOWTO.txt

It seems a bit overkill at this stage to use the boot-floppies stuff.
I may investigate it further later on.

> Here's my errata list for your image, so far:
>
> 	startx fails with /dev/fb0current missing
>
> 	perms on /dev/null are wrong
>
> 	perms on /tmp, /var/tmp, /var/tmp/vi.recover wrong
>
> 	perms on /dev/tty are wrong

I'll have to fix those.  Keep sending me any more problems you discover.

> I'm stumbling through my packages now, sudo and ntp are done, working on tar
> now.

Great.

> If you want to tell me which devices you think need to be present in the
> base image, I can work on an update to makedev.  Of course, if you want to
> send me a patch to /dev/MAKEDEV to fold in, that'd be fine too...  :-)

Your guess is as good as mine.  We are targetting more than just the
NetWinder, so we'll probably need most of the standard devices (even
floppies).  I think the therm stuff needs /dev/temperature.  There are
lots of other devices which we'll have to discover via
trial-and-error, I think.

Is Debian going to start using the Unix98 PTY stuff with glibc 2.1?
That needs /dev/ptmx, plus a new mounted 'devpts' filesystem.

Cheers,

 - Jim