Re: ICEs, libc6, yp

Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct@mit.edu> writes:

> Hello,
>
> So it sounds like to make ORBit work we need a new tcp-wrappers
> including shared libwrap, and netbase.  Then libtool will do the
> right thing by making libIIOP.la include libwrap.so.0 as a
> dependency, instead of trying to bring in objects from libwrap.a.
> Right?
>
> In other words, I think we can close this ORBit bug report.
>
> Meanwhile, I downloaded both of the network sources, and
> tcp-wrappers built just fine, but there are errors in
> netbase-3.16/iputils/ping6.c.  Unfortunately I don't currently have
> time to patch. :-(

Yeah, I see that too.  I see the problem, but I don't know what the
best fix for it is.  See my other message on the topic.

I did upload tcp-wrappers.

> Also, glibc doesn't seem to build cleanly, but it took a good
> fraction of my disk space to build so I deleted everything including
> the compile log.

I'll take a look at it.

> Of course, my machine has no network on the Debian side now, because
> netbase has to be deinstalled to install libwrap0 and libwrap-dev,
> which are needed to build the new netbase.  A big thank you to
> whoever recommended keeping the RedHat install intact! :-)

Always a good idea!

> Before the network went down, I put up all of these newest debs in
> http://lyre.mit.edu/debian/new/ (to complement and update the stuff
> in debian/) including a working gpm (builds and works out-of-box!),
> glib/gtk 1.2.5, imlib 1.9.7, some 1.0.40-42 GNOME stuff (yes, I'll
> have to rebuild it all for 1.0.50, maybe in a week, *after* spending
> some time on netbase, and of course it's mostly worthless without
> ORBit), and not-quite-working mozilla.  So gpm is probably the only
> good reason to check it out.  It's probably worth reiterating that
> Enlightenment works beautifully, though at 640x480-8 bpp it's not
> quite at its finest, and e-conf requires ORBit to work.
>
> Thank you to all who have helped to build the prerequisite packages, and to
> explain various workings of Debian to me.

If you have any patches - please submit them to the Debian bug
tracking system.  That will really help things out a lot!

Thanks for you're help on the port!

Cheers,

 - Jim