Re: ICEs, libc6, yp

Hello,

So it sounds like to make ORBit work we need a new tcp-wrappers including shared
libwrap, and netbase.  Then libtool will do the right thing by making libIIOP.la
include libwrap.so.0 as a dependency, instead of trying to bring in objects from
libwrap.a.  Right?

In other words, I think we can close this ORBit bug report.

Meanwhile, I downloaded both of the network sources, and tcp-wrappers built just
fine, but there are errors in netbase-3.16/iputils/ping6.c.  Unfortunately I don't
currently have time to patch. :-(  Also, glibc doesn't seem to build cleanly, but
it took a good fraction of my disk space to build so I deleted everything
including the compile log.

Of course, my machine has no network on the Debian side now, because netbase has
to be deinstalled to install libwrap0 and libwrap-dev, which are needed to build
the new netbase.  A big thank you to whoever recommended keeping the RedHat
install intact! :-)

Before the network went down, I put up all of these newest debs in
http://lyre.mit.edu/debian/new/ (to complement and update the stuff in debian/)
including a working gpm (builds and works out-of-box!), glib/gtk 1.2.5, imlib
1.9.7, some 1.0.40-42 GNOME stuff (yes, I'll have to rebuild it all for 1.0.50,
maybe in a week, *after* spending some time on netbase, and of course it's mostly
worthless without ORBit), and not-quite-working mozilla.  So gpm is probably the
only good reason to check it out.  It's probably worth reiterating that
Enlightenment works beautifully, though at 640x480-8 bpp it's not quite at its
finest, and e-conf requires ORBit to work.

Thank you to all who have helped to build the prerequisite packages, and to
explain various workings of Debian to me.

Zeen,

-Adam P.