Re: New Image

Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct@mit.edu> writes:

> Adam C Powell IV wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > My Netwinder just arrived a couple of weeks ago, so I am very much a
> > newbie. :-)
> >
> > I tried the new image, and it boots, and networks!  Cool!  However, it
> > seems there is a major package inconsistency which is preventing apt
> > from functioning at all!  It seems base-files depends on base-passwd,
> > which isn't installed, and so apt-get update or dist-upgrade fails with:
> >
> > Checking system integrity...dependency error
> > You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
> > Sorry, but the following packages are broken - this means they have
> > unmet dependencies:
> >   base-files: Depends:base-passwd
> >
> > So, I go to my nearest mirror, and find that there is indeed a
> > base-passwd_2.0.3.3.deb, so I download and dpkg -i, which seems to work
> > (unpacks and sets up), but the error persists!
>
> Okay, tried the February image, and found the problem, it wasn't the image, but
> a missing dependency.  The base-files package requires base-passwd >= 2.0.3.4,
> but only 2.0.3.3 is available.  The older image didn't let me upgrade with
> dselect because of the missing dependency, but it did let me apt-get
> dist-upgrade.  (I guess this is because the February image had an older apt.)

This is all my fault.  I hardly even tested the image I manually made.
I was in a terrible hurry to get something out so that it could be
used for a new install on what is now debussy.debian.org.  I probably
used a few other obsolete packages in building that image.

Ultimately, the images should be made using a modified version of the
boot-floppies package.  In a few weeks, after I move to Vancouver, I'm
going to start on that.

> How can I get/build the new base-passwd?

You can build it yourself by downloading the source, using
"dpkg-source -x" to unpack it, and "debian/rules binary" to build it.

If you want to upload it, you'll need to be a Debian maintainer.
Information on how to apply is at http://www.debian.org/devel/

For now, I'll build it, and upload it.

> Also, xlib6g is missing.  This is surprising, since the Debian ARM port page
> says X is working on Netwinder.  I don't see any X servers either, not even
> Xfb.  Also missing is liblockfile0, but this isn't too surprising since it is
> listed as "obsolete" on Intel, but it is necessary for emacs20.

I made some X packages just a short time ago, which are at:

 ftp://ftp.jimpick.com/pub/debian/arm/xfree86/

I sent the patches to the bug tracking system, but they haven't been
integrated into the official Debian source yet.  That's hardly
surprising, the X maintainer is under a lot of strain with new
versions of XFree86 coming out.

> How can I generate these packages, esp. base-passwd and xlib6g?  Do
> I need to build X from scratch??  I have heard of a way to specify
> source packages, then presumably they download and build locally.

I gave a short explanation above.

The ARM port is still in a rather sorry (but useable) state right now.
It's under development, but most of the developers are rather busy,
and don't have a lot of time to contribute to it.  Every few months, I
spend a few days working on it, and I've been happy with the progress
I've been able to make.  It's still going to be a while before it's
polished enough for non-developers.

Cheers,

 - Jim