Re: Debian ports for RiscPC, ARM710, etc.

Philip Blundell <philb@gnu.org> writes:

> >Or perhaps the StrongARM RiscPC is so rare, it's not worth decreasing
> >performance for the other StrongARM machines (like the NetWinder)?
>
> To be honest I think this is the case.  The number of Acorn machines running
> Linux is really pretty small.  Since most future ARM machines are likely to
> support halfwords and the like it seems sensible to go with that as the
> default.

And the StrongARM RiscPC users would still be able to use the "armv3"
distribution.

I think what I will do is go ahead and build the "armv3" stuff --
which will work on an ARM6 CPU or better.  The StrongARM RiscPC users
can use that distribution as well for now.  If there is truly enough
demand, somebody could do an "arm-riscpc-sa" distribution, or modify
the gcc in the "arm" distribution so that it doesn't use the halfword
instructions.

I'll try to get the "armv3" stuff ready by the end of this week
(unless I have too much trouble with glibc 2.0.96).

Cheers,

 - Jim