Re: RH free Netwinder...

Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com> writes:

> Does anyone know how to interrupt the boot process to pick a different root
> partition and/or kernel?  I haven't found any docs on the NeTTrom thingy yet.
> I'd be happy to repartition my disk to set aside a Debian test root partition
> and start loading it with the right stuff... I'd like nothing better than to
> get to a Debian-only software load, even if it's pretty minimal at first, as
> long as it has enough pieces to be able to bootstrap the rest.

There are is some minimal documentation in the "NetWinder Recovery HOWTO":

  http://www.pet.ml.org/~stany/netwinder_rescue_howto

If you hold down "shift" when booting, you'll eventually get some
options.

Beyond that, I don't know how to proceed.  I suppose an additional
kernel image somewhere with the root partition set to the Debian
partition is probably required.  We'll need to get a a.out cross-compiler
working in order to recompile the kernel source that Corel is currently
supplying.

> I helped both the Sparc and Alpha ports of Debian get over this "initial base
> install" hurdle, so I know what I'm getting myself in to...  but I haven't
> found docs on the important pieces yet, and just joined all the netwinder.org
> lists... is there any archive of traffic on the devel list I could go troll?

You can get the mailing list archives from the majordomo, apparently.
I've never tried to do it myself.  Try sending a "help" message to it.

Cheers,

 - Jim