Re: Emacs!

David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com> writes:

> I got emacs to work, and it is in the usual place:
>
> master.debian.org/~davidw

Awesome!

I hate to break this to you, but Tor Slettnes has also done it:

  ftp://ftp.slett.net/pub/linux/netwinder/debs

(he doesn't have source on his site though)

I'm placing links to your ftp directory and Tor's as well on the web
page (it takes a day or so for it to get updated to www.debian.org).

> untill I get a clue about uploading 'official' things for
> architectures other than i386 (I don't want to step on anyone's toes
> by running over their package..).  The arm.h I used was mostly
> guesswork on my part.  I'll try and find a more official one if I can.

It's easy to upload stuff.  If a package needs no patch, just recompile
it with:

  dpkg-buildpackage -rsudo -B -mjim@jimpick.com
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	        	Use your own email, of course.

And upload it normally (I use dupload).

If it needs a minor patch that just affects the arm architecture, then:

   a) patch the source
   b) add an NMU version to debian/changelog (ie. -1.1)
   c) build it (with source). ie. "dpkg-buildpackage -rsudo -mjim@jimpick.com"
   d) upload it
   e) file a bug report describing what you have done

If it's a major patch, then you should probably get in touch with the regular
maintainer to coordinate.

It it's a new package, just upload it like any other new package.

Cheers,

 - Jim