Re: Built shadow things

David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com> writes:

> I also built the shadow suite.. login, su, passwd.  It built without
> apparent problems.  Is it bad that I didn't use the new gcc?  Is it
> more or less "safe" to upgrade to it?

You should probably upgrade to the latest one on ftp.debian.org.  I
think Corel fixed a few bugs.  Also, some of the header files in
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/include make more sense.  I made egcs, which is
available on my ftp site, but I haven't tested it much yet.

> Ugh.. well, that's enough for one night, tommorow I'll put this on my
> page...  What method have people been using to build nice, official
> Debian packages?  I have been working totally as root on the box, and
> build packages with ./debian/rules binary.  It builds packages, but
> I'm sure they're not fit for official upload...

There is a sudo package available.  Maybe fakeroot will build now that
we have an ld.so built from the glibc package (if you grab the glibc
off my ftp site).

Something like this should work for packages where you only want to
build the arch-dependent binaries:

  dpkg-buildpackage -rsudo -B -mjim@jimpick.com

(use your own email address, of course)

Cheers,