Re: apache2.2 cleanup & more

Hi Jean-Michel,

On Sunday 07 June 2015 01:07:34, Jean-Michel Vourgère wrote:
> Now that the transitional packages are gone, I did some cleanup in
> the (pre|post)(rm|inst):
> - Removed the configuration file hacks to move them around between
> packages. - Removed the /etc/apache2/.apache2_mpm_selected
> handling. I hope this is ok. Fell free to tell me if I'm doing too
> much.

No, that's great.

> Last week, I also made the build reproducible. I used the date from
> the change log rather than __DATE__. Despite some research, I was
> unable to have a space in the macros, so I used a T between the
> date and the time.

I'd say that's good enough.

> Also, lintian was complaining about etc/bash_completion.d being
> obsolete, so I moved the scripts to the new location
> /usr/share/bash-completion/completions, and added required links
> there since the file name must match the command name.
>
> Tonight, I did a little more cleaning (d/clean was still containing
> debian/apache2-mpm-event.postinst and stuff), and I also removed
> some 2.2 related commands from the *.maintscript.
> I did not report that in the changelog, this looks too small to
> mention, and we already talked about these packages disapearing. Do
> ping me if you fell I should be more verbose there.

I usually try to write the changelog for the user / admin and not for
the packager. The commit message can contain more technical / low-
level information if needed. Listing every file that has been changed
in the changelog is definitely too verbose. So, the current level is
fine with me.

Another thing that I try to do is list the changes first that are more
important for the user. Though that fails with the multi-person
changelog format.

> I am unsure how far you'd like to go in the clean up:
>
> We remove everything up to Jessie in the postinsts, since it is
> required to upgrade there first, right? So that leaves a few
> "--compare-versions le 2.4.6-1~" and "2.4.1-4" to remove... Ok?
>
> Should we remove migrate-sites.pl too?
>
> And what about the d/control that still contains the
> replace/conflicts/breaks on "transitional" packages << 2.3 ? And
> about the apache2-prefork-dev and similar?

Yes to all. Skipping Jessie is not supported and won't work anyway.
When you remove the compare-versions stuff, be careful to check which
ones are still needed during new installs and change the version-check
accordingly.

Cheers,
Stefan