Re: Apache2 2.4 transition postponed

Hi,

On 23.05.2012 22:25, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> Do you plan to make it available as an alternative stack (i.e. release
> both 2.2 and 2.4)? if not, have you considered setting up a repository
> for staging pacakges for wheezy (so that users of the future stable
> will be able to use 2.4 even if not officially released for debian,
> and so with some sort of reduced usability)?

we won't ship 2.2 and 2.4 in Wheezy. That's not doable for two reasons.
First, the security team would hate us when doing so and, second,
looking at the reverse dependencies of the Apache package(s) that's
everything but easy and likely causing lots of confusion to users.

Apache all alone is not that useful, its real power arises from third
party modules like PHP, wsgi and such. They would all need to supply
adapted packages for each stack as well, as it's not possible to load
the same binary shared object into Apache 2.2 and 2.4 without
recompiling. However, looking at the progress of our transition bugs [1]
we're on a long road towards a feature-complete 2.4 release and only a
few modules have been converted.

Thus, I don't think we could ship easily modules for both, 2.2 and 2.4
without much hassle, given our software stack does not support this at
all anyway. It would be a fair assumption that an alternative 2.4
package along 2.2 would work fine as is, but most third party modules
would be missing in Wheezy. That's probably not the quality standard
people expect from us.

Moreover, it's not easy possible to make 2.2 and 2.4 co-installable
(which would be a requirement to ship both stacks) without worrying a
lot how to deal with web applications which are installing their
configuration files to /etc/apache2/conf.d/. They would all need a
transition, too [2].

Looking at the amount of work we spent with Apache 2.4, that's a pity
but in look for our users the best choice to postpone it for Wheezy+1.
That said, I'd really like to make a 2.4 package available to Wheezy
users (maybe in a backport or so) but we didn't find a really thrilling
alternative for that yet.

[1]
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=apache24transition;users=debian-apache@lists.debian.org
[2]