Comments about 'next' branch

Hi Arno,

since you asked, here are some comments about the current state of the
"next" branch. Sorry for the not very refined language ;)

Stuff that should be done before the experimental upload:

Have a single script for

  /usr/sbin/a2disconf -q $S || true
if [ -x "/etc/init.d/apache2" ]; then
  invoke-rc.d apache2 restart || true
fi

in order to (later) allow the admin to change what should be done.
Having a single script in the first version would be good, because
then depending packages would immediately take advantage of any
improvements. There is no need to implement advanced fu like the admin
override functionality now. (It's not even mandatory for wheezy)

Need special handling for changing symlink /usr/share/doc/apache2
to a directory during update. Same for other links in /usr/share/doc/
. Use symlinks in /usr/share/doc/ where applicable (our changelog is
rather large). Converting dirs to symlinks later is a PITA. The
transitional packages don't need a /usr/share/doc dir at all, I think.

We need the complicated handling of /var/www/index.html from the 2.2
package:
- Only copy on first installation, not on upgrades (it is meant to be
removed by the admin).
- Don't copy if another /var/www/index.* file exists, because the
index.html would override the file placed there by the admin.

Comments about todos:
====================

Ubuntu still needs their dbg package magic. They build debug packages
differently.  However the test should probably use dpkg-vendor.

mkdir.sh ist still not parallel safe => keep -j1 in rules.

We don't want to install NEWS files in -utils, -bin, -data. It would
just make apt-listchanges annoy people with messages that are not
relevant for them.

We want the ac_cv_prog_LYNX_PATH=www-browser. It influences what
"apachectl status" calls.  OTOH, we ship our own version of
apache2ctl. Maybe we should convert that to a patch?

mod_cache_disk/disk_cache: One should actually check if the cache dir
format has changed or is compatible. (Sorry, haven't thought about
this before).

We should enable a reasonable set of default modules, approx. what was
enabled by default in 2.2.  I don't understand your comment about
module.conf files.

Bugs:
====

postinst: enable_default_modules and enable_default_conf should also
have checks that they only do stuff if upgrading from 2.2 or if newly
installing, not if upgrading from 2.4.

postinst: enable_default_mpm should be noop if upgrading from 2.4

postinst: We also have other_vhosts_access.log. Set its perms, too.

apache2-dev has an empty man8 dir
apache2-doc has an empty conf.d dir
apache2 has files in /usr/share/doc/apache2-doc

Misc notes:
===========

If only one transitional mpm package (does this work with upgrades?)
then maybe use apache2-mpm as the name. We should probably provide
that anyway (or maybe apache2 should provide apache2-mpm?).

Stuff that definitely doesn't need to be in first upload to
experimental:
- Clean up config
- Clean up/convert envvars

I don't understand the use case for some stuff that a2query does. Not
important right now, though.

a2query: You are writing C in perl ;-) Use
foreach my $file (glob("$conf_dir/*.load"))
instead of opendir/readdir loop

More TODOs:

rules file should check that API-number in a2query and debian/control
matches the one in ap_mmn.h

I don't think we need to ship httpd.exp.

Shouldn't /usr/share/apache2/build be in apache2-dev ?

In apache2-utils, move everything from /usr/sbin to /usr/bin ?

Cheers,
Stefan