Introducing Apache 2.3.x

Hello,

I just pushed my local next branch [1] to the public repository. It
contains my experimental Apache2 2.3 package (currently 2.3.16-beta-1).
To build it you need it to merge the next-upsstream branch [2] too.
There is a ready-to-use debian/gbp.conf file which might help
git-buildpackage to work as is.

It needs some explanations.

*) Let me start with the most evident fact: The package is not even
close to be complete. It is just a random development snapshot you can
look and comment at, but please realize it might contain random
brokenness, temporary hacks and outdated files.

*) Please do not try to upgrade an existing installation. It won't work.
No, really.

*) The apache2-dev and apache2-dbg packages are completely untested. The
apache2-doc packages seems to work at a first glance, but I didn't look
whether convert_docs still does useful things.

*) Dependencies are mostly incomplete and partially commented out. That
means I didn't thoroughly check or update them. That's especially true
for provides/conflicts black magic.

*) Following Stefan's idea the package has been much streamlined - it
mainly consists of apache2, apache2-common and apache2-bin only now.

  + apache2 contains init scripts, configuration, Debian scripts
(a2enmod, ...) and so on. It is the "master package" people are expected
to use. It will install a full and working web server. The package is a
pseudo arch:any package, but that's a limitation of Debian (arch:all
packages can't depend on arch:any packages)

  + apache2-bin contains binaries only and provides a module magic
number. Reverse dependencies are expected to depend on this MMN, not on
apache2-bin directly. Installing apache2-bin will not pull in a full web
server, only binaries. Packages depending on apache2-bin _only_ are
expected to set-up their own configured instance of Apache. For that
reason apache2ctl, a2enmod and such are provided in the apache2 package,
despite of being public executables.

 + apache2-common provides icons and error documents. They are mostly
useful in a full web-server setup only, thus the apache2 package depends
directly on it. apache2-bin doesn't.

 + apache2-utils is mostly left as is, except that I'm providing some
more stuff in it which comes along Apache 2.4.

 + Suexec changed notably, see below.

*) I renamed the apache2-suexec package to apache2-suexec-pristine,
apache2-suexec-custom is left as is. Furthermore, I reworked the
packages in a way they can be installed concurrently. There is perhaps
no good reason to do so, but that way I could merge the build process of
both packages. For being co-installable packages must not install the
same files, thus I install binaries and manpages as suexec-custom and
suexec-pristine respectively. The suexec binary itself is provided
through the alternatives system. I tested both suexec wrappers and they
still work fine. That said, that's only a proposal. If you don't like
it, I can live with reverting it back to the old conflicting approach

*) debian/rules is incomplete. It does the most important stuff, but it
may contain regressions. At very least it contains a lot of commented
out code I still need to check for usefulness in 2.4

*) I did not touch patches. I only refreshed and ported the
010_fhs_compliance, 201_build_suexec-custom and 202_suexec-custom
patches. The 201_build_suexec-custom patch looks quite different because
of my changes outlined before

*) The package contains a lot of old-* files. These are leftovers from
the 2.2 package. Each of those files needs to be checked whether they
are still needed (either as a whole or partially). This is especially
true for 2.2 module configuration files I mostly ignored for now

*) I updated the apache2.conf file to make use of the new "Require"
directive instead of Allow/Deny/Order. Moreover I updated the conf to
work with the new Include system and let it use the Mutex directive.

*) The apache2.postinst was rewritten from scratch. It is not complete
and only provides the most essential post-installation set-up.

*) Syntax checks (apache2 -t) seem much more aggressive now, for example
they fail if a configured directory does not exist yet
(/var/lock/apache2, ...). I updated some Debian scripts in respect to that.

*) I dropped the MPM ITK. Other MPM stuff is mostly untouched. I wrote a
quick hack into apache2.conf to get a running instance by loading the
threaded MPM unconditionally. Of course that's a temporary hack and
subject to change.

*) I refactored several files in debian/ to new locations to have them
easily installable straight be dh_install (which still can't rename
files directly). For example manpages can be found in debian/manpages,
suexec configuration in debian/suexec-config-dir and so on. Thus, up to
now no "COPY OF DOOM" magic is needed.

... more in the git commit messages and debian/changelog.

Again, let me point out this is just a frozen development snapshot. The
package is not meant to be complete as is. I'm happy to get feedback and
more suggestions (or hate mails), but I'll continue to work on the
package and it surely needs more work.

[1]
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-apache/apache2.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/next
[2]