Re: Let's talk about SVN management

Hello Sandro,

On 01.11.2011 15:52, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> I'm following up the RFH (explicitly cc-ing Stefan ad Arno, just in
> case) mail and what's written in [1].

I'm subscribed to debian-apache, but thanks for remembering me. I'm
sorry I didn't submit any patches yet, by the way. I already worked on
some stuff but it is not ready to be published yet. More on that below.

> Anyhow, my suggestion is to try to bring the repo layout in a state
> that's understandable by svn-buildpackage, and start using it to build
> the package. We can keep maintaining only the debian/ dir in SVN, and
> leverage the mergeWithUpstream svn-bp feature (see its manpage), but
> at least we'll have a "standard" configuration, easier to work with.

Fully acknowledged. I used to work with svn-buildpackage too, and it
comes really handy. I'd be glad to have the repository in a shape which
works together with svb-bp.

We use layout 2 in glibc-bsd and I could configure svn-bp without much
problems there, despite I am probably the only one using it there.

However, merged repositories, i.e. those with the full upstream source
are additionally easy to deal with. Especially with svn-bp you only need
to checkout package/trunk (or trunk/package) respectively so the amount
of wasted disk space is limited. So, why not switch to such a layout too?

> What do you think about it? If you're worried about the work to
> re-shape the repo, I volunteer to do that, but I don't know exactly
> how to create a parallel svn repo (to show the end result) without
> access to the current one.

That said, if we're restructuring the repository anyway, why don't move
to git? I was setting up git-svn for the Apache repository earlier which
allows me to commit patches even though I have no write access to
repository yet. That's only one of the advantages in using git (although
I am no git zealot).

For your question: You can refactor the repository locally (e.g. by
creating a new local repository) and import it later to Alioth by using
svnadmin. See [1] to get the idea.

While we're talking about transitions: While getting some feeling for
the Apache package, I noticed it is still a 1.0 package which makes use
of dpatch. Would you mind switching to 3.0/quilt instead and dropping
the dpatch depdendency?

I noticed, there are two patches which aren't actually patches but
scripts. I used some debian/rules trickery to replace them in a
3.0/quilt setup. I didn't publish my patch yet, but unless you think
switching to 3.0/quilt would be a terrible idea I'd do soon.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/CollabMaintImport

- --
with kind regards,
Arno Töll