Let's talk about SVN management

Hi all,
I'm following up the RFH (explicitly cc-ing Stefan ad Arno, just in
case) mail and what's written in [1]. I've used a lot of SVN in my
packaging (in python modules/apps teams) so I'd like to talk about how
svn is currently using for apache packaging.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Apache/SVN

There's a tool to wrap dpkg-buildpackage for svn and it's called
svn-buildpackage; it's nor perfect, but it does its job pretty well.
In order to work it needs the svn repo to be in a couple of specific
layouts:

1. package/{trunk,tags,branches,...} (default)
2. {trunk,tags,branches,...}/package

Just to give some figures:

- perl modules team used layout 2, but now they moved to git
- DPMT/PAPT is currently using layout 1, while given its big number of
packages, could be helpful to move to layout 2 (but that's another
story ;) ).

Currently Apache repo is nearer to the layout 2 (but some package
already has the <pkg>/debian/ other only <pkg>, it's kinda of anarchy
:) ): given we're talking about 4 packages, it doesn't matter much if
we want to reach a "real" layout 2 or move to the 1 instead.

Anyhow, my suggestion is to try to bring the repo layout in a state
that's understandable by svn-buildpackage, and start using it to build
the package. We can keep maintaining only the debian/ dir in SVN, and
leverage the mergeWithUpstream svn-bp feature (see its manpage), but
at least we'll have a "standard" configuration, easier to work with.

What do you think about it? If you're worried about the work to
re-shape the repo, I volunteer to do that, but I don't know exactly
how to create a parallel svn repo (to show the end result) without
access to the current one.

Cheers,