Re: license clarification

On Sun, 2007-01-07 at 01:54 -0600, Peter Samuelson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing on behalf of a potential redistributor of your
> 'apr_dbd_mysql' add-on to apr-util.  As you probably know, there have
> been questions raised by the FSF about compatibility between the GPL
> and the Apache License 2.0, used by apr-util.  The ASF believes there
> is no problem.  MySQL A.B. has sidestepped the question by providing a
> GPL compatibility exemption covering many such cases.
>
> As your code is intended for use with apr-util, I assume you see no
> license compatibility problem either.  Can I get a quick confirmation
> of this from you as copyright holders of the GPL work?  Your reply will
> go into our public copyright notice file for apr-util.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter, for the Debian Apache maintainers

Peter,

I'm aware of the Debian issue.  A couple of weeks ago I posted
to your bugs database in an effort to resolve this.  It's
documented in my blog, at
http://bahumbug.wordpress.com/2006/12/18/apacheaprmysql-packaging/
(which also links to the relevant Debian bugzilla entries).

In brief, yes, I'm happy for you to package this in Debian under
the GPL.  If you prefer, you may instead invoke MySQL's exception
and include it in an APR-UTIL package under the Apache License 2.0.

Regards,

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/