Re: apache2 "Segmentation fault"

Hi Rob.

I had the same problem. It's something broken in apache2.2-common (version 2.2.3-2). mod_access wasn't statically linked or something. apache2ctl -t reports that "Order is an unknown directive".

The only way I could solve it was to use dpkg -r --ignore-depends to manually back out apache2.2-common and a bunch of dependencies (mostly around apache2-utils and libapache2-mod-php5), and php-pear.*

I've now got libapache2-common and php-pear on "hold", which at least is working for me and playing nice with apt-get upgrade.

I'm waiting (hoping!) to hear something about apache2.2-common being fixed. Until then I won't unhold apache2-common.

fwiw I'm running a 2.4.20 kernel in a managed VPS (based on virtuozzo).

Cheers,
Dan

* Gory details: the libapache2-mod-php5 that works with the latest apache2.0-common (2.0.55-4.1) depends on an older version of php (5.1.4 rather than 5.1.6). Likewise php-pear. I had to do lots of careful unravelling before it all worked again. It turns out that the only packages that need to be "held" are apache2-common and php-pear. Everything else hangs off those. My current "held" package list reads like this:

apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-utils libapache2-mod-php5 libapache2-mod-python libapache2-svn php-pear php5
 php5-common php5-mysql

Rob Leach wrote:
Hi,
I know that there are already a few bugs filed against
apache2 version 2.2.3-2 in Debian testing for a
segmentation fault. I read in a bug report that the
problem was fixed in apache2 version 2.2.3-3 but had
not been posted to the ftp server yet. I downloaded
all the packages that I had installed for apache2 this
morning to see if I could get my apache server back up
and running. Below is a list of my installed apache
packages. Even with this version of apache installed,
the apache server is still seg faulting at start up
with no additional modules configured to start up. Is
there another package that needs to be upgraded to fix
this issue?

Thanks,
-Rob

$ dpkg -l | grep apache2
ii apache2 2.2.3-3 Next generation, scalable, extendable web se rc apache2-common 2.0.55-4.1 next generation, scalable, extendable web se ii apache2-doc 2.2.3-3 documentation for apache2 ii apache2-mpm-prefork 2.2.3-3 Traditional model for Apache HTTPD 2.1 ii apache2-utils 2.2.3-3 utility programs for webservers ii apache2.2-common 2.2.3-3 Next generation, scalable, extendable web se

---
Free as in Salvation

____________________________________________________________________________________ Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail (http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta/)