Unstable upgrade exp

On one machine with unstable I noticed somehow via upgrades that some
apache2-* stuff had crept in, though apache1.3 was the httpd.

As I've used apache2 on other machines, I thought I would try upgrade
the machine today though I had difficulties.

bible$ dpkg -L apache2-common | grep init
/etc/init.d
/etc/init.d/apache2
bible$ cat /etc/init.d/apache2
cat: /etc/init.d/apache2: No such file or directory

Big problem was the "/etc/init.d/apache2" could not be found. I did
reinstall apache2-common and still it wasn't to be found.

Then I thought I should install PHP and all hell broke loose:

bible$ sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-php5
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
  apache2-mpm-prefork
Suggested packages:
  php-pear
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  apache2-mpm-worker
  apache2-mpm-prefork libapache2-mod-php5
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 1 to remove and 141 not upgraded.
Need to get 1888kB/2091kB of archives.
After unpacking 4006kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
Get:1 http://ftp.uk.debian.org unstable/main libapache2-mod-php5 5.0.5-2 [1888kB]
Fetched 1888kB in 2s (720kB/s)
Reading package fields... Done
Reading package status... Done
Retrieving bug reports... Done
dpkg: apache2-mpm-worker: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you request:
 phpmyadmin depends on apache2 | httpd; however:
  Package apache2 is not installed.
  Package apache2-mpm-worker which provides apache2 is to be removed.
  Package httpd is not installed.
  Package apache2-mpm-worker which provides httpd is to be removed.
  Package apache which provides httpd is not installed.
 phpmyadmin depends on apache2 | httpd; however:
  Package apache2 is not installed.
  Package apache2-mpm-worker which provides apache2 is to be removed.
  Package httpd is not installed.
  Package apache2-mpm-worker which provides httpd is to be removed.
  Package apache which provides httpd is not installed.
(Reading database ... 68566 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing apache2-mpm-worker ...
invoke-rc.d: unknown initscript, /etc/init.d/apache2 not found.
dpkg: error processing apache2-mpm-worker (--remove):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 100
 apache2-mpm-worker