Apache - SSI - problem

Hi People!
I'm running Apache 1.3.31 on an unstable version of debian woody.
I got a problem with Server Side Included (SSI)

Below the relevant extracts of my httpd.conf and modules.conf which I have
editet accourding to the general SSI Instrcuctions available on the net.

---<modules.conf>---
LoadModule perl_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_include.so
---</modules.conf>---

---<httpd.conf>----
<IfModule mod_mime.c>
AddType text/html .shtml
AddHandler server-parsed .shtml
<Directory /home/*>
   Options SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
   Options Includes
   AllowOverride All
</Directory>
---</httpd.conf>---

Furthermote I have follwoing in a .htaccess in the document
root of my virtual host:
--------
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes
AddType application/x-httpd-cgi .cgi
AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .shtml
---------

Nevertheless SSI is not working on my server. When I call
a .shtml site via browser, the SSI commands are not processed,
they're just printed out.
Does anybody know, why SSI is not working?
I have no Idea why, and can't find any howtos which suggest to configure apache-SSI
differently than I have done it anyway...

Thanks a lot in advance!

Greets
Flo