apache2- common/ doc BUG

When I go to http://localhost/apache2-default/ I get the default apache2
webserver index page, with a link near the top to apache.org and a link
near the bottom to "manual/".

Trouble is, this doesn't work (ie. result in a readable html page) on a
fresh Debian 'unstable' install.

These packages need to do ONE of the following in order for the
documentation to work with apache2 installation (Debian unstable is what
I'm on here):

* change the second link (to the "documentation") to point to:
http://localhost/doc/apache2-doc/manual/

OR

* ln -s /usr/share/doc/apache2-doc/manual/ /var/www/
AND point the default index page to http://localhost/manual/

NOTE: this does NOT work:
ln -s /usr/share/doc/apache2-doc/manual/ /var/www/apache2-default/
which instead results in a page of gibberish (actually the index.html is
just dumped on the browser which is just text and doesn't work since the
redirecting doesn't work. Don't ask me why, I haven't a clue.

The above solutions work due to the /etc/apache2/conf.d/apache2-doc
redirection funkiness config file.

NOTE: I don't know how to make this work with apache 1.x. If someone
knows a quick hack to make it work, I would be very appreciative.

Finally, PLEASE CC ME with replies. Any reply. Some reply, anyone,
pleeeease. I would like to know that my tracking this down was not in
vain and might actually benefit the next poor Debian newbie attempting
to read the apache2 documentation and being stuffed before s/he started.

Thank you in advance
Zenaan

PS Please CC me.

--