Re: Packaging a module for apache 1 & 2 from the same source

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 07:52:37 +0200 (CEST)
Fabio Massimo Di Nitto <fabbione@fabbione.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Thibaut VARENE wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm the maintainer of libapache-mod-musicindex, and I'm currently
> > looking for The Good Thing (tm) to do to get two .deb from the same
> > source tarball.
> >
> > libapache-mod-musicindex is a native debian package (i'm one of the
> > developers), and it can be built for apache 1 or 2 just by passing a
> > variable to make.
> >
> > Hence me looking for the correct control/rules setup to get two
> > different binaries from the same source tarball, not mutually
> > exclusive.
> >
> > Any clue?
>
> You will need to build-deps on both apache-dev and apache2-*-dev (*
> check the one you prefer). Use apxs for apache1.3 and apxs2 for apache2.
> All the normal rules for building multiple binaries from the same source
> applies.

Well let me make myself a bit clearer.

The problem is that I can't find the proper debian/rules setup (please
define "normal rules for building multiple binaries from the same source"
by the way, since what can be found on the net and in
/usr/share/doc/debhelper/examples isn't very helpful) to build two
different modules _using the same name_ (mod_musicindex.so) for apache1
and apache2 from the same source tree.

Basically, i have all .[ch] files in the source directory, and, to
achieve two proper builds, i'd like to

- build for apache1 ("make"), get a "mod_musicindex.so" for apache 1
- install apache1 files ("dh_install", i have a
libapache-mod-musicindex.install)
- clean the source tree
- build for apache2 ("make APACHE_VERSION=2"), get a "mod_musicindex.so"
for apache 2
- install apache2 files ("dh_install")
- install common files ("dh_install" with separate "mod-musicindex-common"
package).

Or else get the two builds in two separate temp dirs.

But i don't know how to achieve any of these.

The source tarball with the modified debian/* files can be found here:
http://www.esiee.fr/~puffin/musicindex/test.tar.gz (67KB)

(apache2 stuff isn't working, as you can guess)

Thanks for your precious help,

Thibaut VARENE
The PA/Linux ESIEE Team
http://www.pateam.org/