From: Luke Worthy <luke@solutionsmanagement.com.au>
To: dstone@trinity.unimelb.edu.au
Subject: apache2 deb port
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 12:51:46 +1000

I saw your name in the README.Debian with respect to problems with  vhost-base
for apache2 and thought you might be able to help me :)....maybe.....

I have been setting up a server (debain woody with apache2 from backports.org)
and am having some virtual host issues.

I've got 2 sites configured so far, the coldfusionmx admin page, and the vhost
alias for all our web sites, they are below:

cfmx admin:
<VirtualHost 192.168.0.143>
        ServerAdmin luke@solutonsmanagement.com.au
        VirtualDocumentRoot /etc/htdocs/
        ServerName      defiant.solman
        CustomLog /var/log/cfaccess.log combined
</VirtualHost>

<Directory "/etc/htdocs">
    Options -Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from 192.168.0
</Directory>

normal websites:

NameVirtualHost *

<Directory "/webpages/clientroot/">
    Options -Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

UseCanonicalName    Off

<VirtualHost *>
    ServerName *
    VirtualDocumentRoot /webpages/clientroot/%2.1/%2.2/%0
    DirectoryIndex default.cfm default.htm index.cfm index.htm index.html
    ErrorDocument 404 /404.cfm
</VirtualHost>

So I need to understand, whenever I run just the normal websites - works no
problem, but when I add in the definition for the admin page, the server
can't seem to serve the website pages anymore.

The error log says:
Directory index forbidden by rule: /etc/htdocs/

Which is insane, because it shouldn't use the DocRoot of the first non-vhost
definition as the doc root - I would think it should use the vhosts first,
and if then it's not found do the non-vhosts....or maybe something
else.....point is - it's not working and I really need some help - if either
you or anyone else you know that I can email, any help would be
appreciated :)

Luke

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Daniel Stone                                     <dstone@trinity.unimelb.edu.au>
Developer, Trinity College, University of Melbourne