Re: draft proposal for a new web server policy

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 12:43:52PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> > Even if it is not our task I would like to at least suggest users a common
> > schema on where to store vhosts and possibly in a future having a small
> > tool to handle them. It would make life easier for users approching the
> > first time httpd.
>
> I'm sure personally that this will be /srv in the future (but time will
> tell). Wouldn't a tool to handle vhosts be fairly specific to the httpd?

The way vhost-base implemented this was to have a common frontend, with
every application making use of vhosts providing its own
add/remove/enable/disable/whatever scripts, and the vhost-base scripts
(addvhost, delvhost, envhost, disvhost) just passed them as much
information as they needed to know (generally just the name of the
vhost, and base configuration).

--
Daniel Stone                                                <daniels@debian.org>
Debian X Strike Force:                    http://people.debian.org/~branden/xsf/